Like apt-get, but for Windows.
This workshop covers both simple and advanced scenarios in using the Chocolatey Package Manager. Every participant has the opportunity to participate in the exercises in a provided cloud VM and thus get a real “hands-on-feeling”.
After a short introduction, the following topics are covered:
- Chocolatey Installation (online/offline)
- Installing Packages from the Community Repository
- Creating and installing your own packages
- best-practice vs. “good-enough”
- Publishing Packages
- Setting up an internal Chocolatey repository
- Nexus/ProGet/Simple Package Gallery
- Packaging -> Test -> Push Pipeline
- Updates, Reports & Monitoring
- 1-Click Deployments with Boxstarter
- Extended application possibilities
Each “block” lasts approximately ~45 minutes followed by a 10 minute break.
Finally, some community projects are mentioned and further references are provided.
Requirements for participation
Experience with Chocolatey and PowerShell is helpful in completing the tasks presented in the workshop, but not required. Computer with an Internet connection and current (NLA-enabled) RDP client.
- Windows 10 & Mac-OS: Download “Microsoft Remote Desktop” app from the store.
- Linux: Remmina or similar and “rdesktop” in the current version